Content Lead / Content Marketing Lead
Maven helps anyone build a cohort-based course and deliver an incredible student experience at scale.
Unlike small workshops or on-demand online classes, we integrate both live and asynchronous components to engage students without needing to scale up instructor time or support staff.
Our mission is to democratize education through online cohort-based courses.
Right now, many experts and creators don't have the team, budget, or bandwidth to create a high quality cohort-based course. Inspired by the simplicity and power of tools like Shopify and Substack, we are building a platform that enables the best instructors around the world to build the most engaging and interactive courses.
Our small team has built and run world-class educational experiences at Udemy, AltMBA, Minerva, Google, General Assembly, Socratic, and Shopify. We're backed by incredible investors, angels, and hundreds of supporters. We've launched sold-out courses for incredible instructors like Li Jin, Anthony Pompliano, Lenny Rachitsky, Sahil Lavingia, and more.
We're looking for entrepreneurial, strategic doers who are passionate about shaping the future of education. Could that be you?
We have an incredible roster of instructors, investors, and students involved—and we're looking for our first marketer to drive our funnel and create content that will help instructors build high quality courses. You're an end-to-end content marketer who can handle strategy and execution to bring your ideas to life.
- Create content to attract new instructors & help existing instructors build high quality courses. This includes creating articles, product tutorials, templates, videos, slide decks, case studies, and guides. (We love the resources that the book writing company Scribe provides to authors. We want to create similar resources for course creators.)
- Build lifecycle email campaigns to educate, build trust, and nurture instructors to join Maven
- Experiment with event series (info sessions, webinars, digital gatherings, etc) to attract new instructors to to join our 6-week cohort-based course
- Manage Maven's newsletter and social (Twitter, Clubhouse, etc)
- Create content that helps your fellow Course Team Leads support our 10% fee, 25% fee, and 50% fee instructors. This could include improving the content in our 6-week course geared at self-serve instructors, turning Wes' long-form blog posts into shorter articles for Maven's newsletter, turning slide deck content into articles, creating worksheets and project prompts for instructors, etc.
- Support cross-functional teams to maximize messaging and positioning across every instructor-facing touch point and piece of copy, i.e. make sure we're reinforcing our value with existing instructors and securing new instructors
- Create rigorous, practical, sharable, and usable content to help Maven become the go-to place for anyone in the cohort-based course category (creators, instructors, consultants, course managers, moderators, coaches, etc)
For content marketing, which will be 30% of your role, the KPI is the number of leads who create a high quality course. For content, which will be 70% of your role, the KPI is conversion or outcomes specific to a piece of content, i.e. are instructors taking the action you want them to take?
Instructional design or learning experience design is a plus because you'll need to empathize with instructors and get them to take action—using your words alone. You're a rigorous thinker who is really good at teaching complex concepts via your writing. You think about how to give people the right information at the right time in the right format to get them to take the action you want them to take. You care about reducing cognitive load for your audiences as much as possible.
Prior experience with CBCs is a plus but not required—we love how folks like Merott Movahedi are writing engaging newsletters about CBCs while being new in the category himself. This is the kind of hustle and end-to-end ability we love to see.
There's no room for fluffy writing that doesn't say much. We need a great writer and even better editor who can write quickly, effectively, and explain complex topics in an engaging and usable way.
This role will report directly to Wes Kao, co-founder of Maven. We're open to making the above role a "Head Of" role for senior level candidates.
Who's a Good Fit
Picasso said, “There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into sun." You transform a yellow spot into the sun. You’re scrappy, rigorous, and find a way to get things done. You’ve taken a little and turned it into a lot.
You’ve been an early hire on an early-stage team, and worked in a role that was ever-changing because what you needed to do changed based on the context. You have bold ideas, and the skills to gather what you need to execute a realistic minimum viable project.
You're a strategic doer and entrepreneurial builder. You don't just tolerate execution and hope you don't have to execute for much longer--you find your craft thrilling and you love building. You’ll be responsible for the success of your function, not only for a single component of it.
Come Learn, Grow, and Build with Us
We're a fully remote company with employees in Toronto, Austin, New York, and the San Francisco Bay Area. Anyone within 1 hour of US time zones is welcome.
We hire across a spectrum—we’re open to talented folks who are new in their career, and love more experienced people who can run teams and like doing the scrappy hands-on work before building a team. The role above will start as individual contributors. Based on your performance, you might build a team of direct reports. Since you’ll start as a one-person show, you should be excited to role up your sleeves to execute. Our business is evolving fast, so by the time you start the job, the role could have changed dramatically. This job description is meant to be directional and we’re looking for people who can evolve with us.
Your application has been successfully submitted.